Issued 03:00 AM AST 16 January 2018
Today Tonight and Wednesday.
Wind north 25 knots diminishing to northwest 15 this morning and to light this evening. Wind increasing to east 15 Wednesday afternoon and to east 25 Wednesday evening.
Light snow ending early this morning. Flurries beginning Wednesday morning and changing to showers and flurries Wednesday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.
Temperatures minus 2 to plus 2 rising to plus 3 Wednesday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 15 January 2018 Today Tonight and Tuesday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4520N 6100W to 4555N
5935W to 4645N 5955W to 4725N 5910W to 4805N 6155W to 4840N 6145W.
Sea ice south of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from 4840N 6145W to 4910N 6125W to 4945N
6155W to 4950N 5955W to 5030N 5805W to 4825N 5925W to Newfoundland
near 4800N 5915W. Sea ice north of the ice edge.
Third ice edge estimated from New Brunswick near 4530N 6515W to Nova
Scotia near 4505N 6500W. Sea ice east of the ice edge.
Ice free except open water along the coast.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 15 January 2018
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 16 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5400N 5718W to 5430N 5300W to 5700N 5500W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM AST 16 January 2018 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 3:00 a.m. AST today low 1014 mb located over East Scotian Slope.
By 3:30 p.m. AST today departing low 1010 mb located east of
At 3:00 a.m. AST today ridge located from Labrador to New England.
By 3:00 a.m. AST Wednesday ridge located over the Maritimes.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:47 AM AST 16 January 2018 A low pressure system located over East Scotian Slope at issue time
will track northeastward to lie east of Newfoundland by this
afternoon. Strong to gale force southerlies ahead of the low shift to
strong to gale force northerlies behind it. Winds diminish to
moderate to strong northerlies later today as the low pulls away and
eventually to light to moderate northerlies as high pressure builds
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Georges Bank, LaHave Bank, West Scotian Slope, eastern shore, Sable,
East Scotian Slope, Fourchu, Banquereau, and Laurentian Fan.
Freezing spray warnings are in effect for Cabot Strait,
Northumberland Strait, Gulf-Magdalen, Chaleur-Miscou, and Anticosti -
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northwestern half
- Anticosti - southeastern half
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope - northwestern half
- East Scotian Slope - southeastern half
- Georges Bank
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - northwestern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: